Thursday 23 July 2009

First silver clay design attempt


My first attempt at using Silver Art Clay for jewelry was interesting, and I'm not sure whether I'll continue using it much in my jewelry making but felt it was important to try out different methods and materials, and also decide whether it is worth my while investing in a kiln.

I bought a blow torch from the same supplier I bought the silver clay and other tools, but the torch wouldn't fill despite trying all of the nozzles on the butane gas filler, so had to buy another blowtorch from the local DIY shop.
Originally was going to make a silver chain link bracelet but decided to use a single chain in each different piece because the total weight of the intended piece was over 7 grams which meant I would need to get it hallmarked.
As these are just experimental pieces I thought I would incorporate a focal shape of pure silver in a mixed media bracelet with copper tube beads and other beads threaded on to silver coated copper wire.

The result was a delicate and magical looking piece which I've called Lady of the Lake, as it seemed slightly Arthurian, plus I spent a bit of time by the lake today. It can be worn further up the arm or more loosely around the wrist, but I prefer it as an arm piece than a wrist piece. I also loved the combination of copper and silver, and having the hook clasp at the side. The focal square has a leafy pattern on it, and the bracelet which fits all sizes is fairly flexible so that you can adjust its shape snugly once it is on the arm.



I'm not sure what I'll make from the other squares yet but I thought I'd put my first piece up on my blog, and then into my online shops. All of these will be one of a kind pieces, so even though I may list the same piece in more than one shop, I would delete all other listings whenever an item sells. So far I have just listed it in my UK shop Artefact Creations at Folksy.

3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely piece. I would agree that it would look fab as an arm piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this informative article. Click here for Best research about Custom luxury eyeliner packaging boxes UK for best branding".

    ReplyDelete