Sunday 14 June 2009

Altered Art Jewellery


This is another interesting jewellery project in the pipeline for me to try out as the possibilities are endless to create jewellery around specific themes such as literature, art, nature, cinema, Victorian photos, advertising or anything else. I've picked a few examples from sellers on Etsy.com and Folksy.com, and there is also a good online tutorial on Aunties Beads.

I've yet to decide what glaze to use as I hear that the images can smudge when applying water-soluble glaze to anything printed on an inkjet printer. I've recently ordered a CD of images to use in my altered art jewellery from Lunagirl.
I was excited to see a CD containing masses of illustrations from one of my favourite book illustrators, Walter Crane, so just had to have it. I could have just download images from the internet or scanned some of my own early illustrations for free, but the CD seemed to contain so many more that I didn't have access to.

There is a good article about creating altered art jewellery charms on Lunagirl's blog, so I won't repeat the process here.

Here are a couple of examples of altered art charm bracelets by Poetsummer on etsy.com

Alice in Wonderland is always a popular theme. I particularly liked the Absinthe charm bracelet as that is one of my favourite drinks.


Plus plenty of earrings to choose from by Jezebel Charms on Folksy.com. These are her Casablanca earrings.


If you want to buy images for your altered art jewellery then there is a wide choice available online, plus free vintage clipart (see link below), or use magazines, old photos and advertising labels.



No comments:

Post a Comment